Get The Answers You Need 708-403-1640
Rhea A. Dorsam, Attorney at Law Dorsam and Jurek, P.C.
At Your Side During Stressful And Challenging Times

Navigating Through The Challenges Of Divorce

When the stress of a difficult marriage or the isolation of an unfulfilling relationship becomes too much, sometimes divorce is the only way to move forward to find healing and a new life. It's a decision that thousands of people make every year. It is a decision that can be made easier with the support and guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced divorce attorney.

Evening The Odds Divorcing Spouses Face

I'm Rhea Dorsam, an Orland Park divorce lawyer with more than 30 years of experience helping couples find solutions to Illinois family law issues. I provide sensitive and compassionate legal help to clients seeking a divorce in the greater Chicago area of Will County and Cook County, Illinois.

The Legal Services We Provide

Specific areas of my practice include:

Divorce and legal separation: Regardless of whether you are seeking a divorce or a legal separation, the issues that must be decided remain the same. You will need to arrive at an agreement — or to ask a family court judge for a court order — regarding the issues of marital property division, financial support and child custody issues.

If you and your former partner are fortunate enough to be in agreement on these issues, Illinois law allows you to seek an uncontested divorce. Each partner should still be represented by a lawyer who will draft a divorce and marital property settlement agreement and file all required paperwork with the court. I can guide you through this process and help you negotiate any minor disagreements that might occur along the way for a less costly and less combative divorce or legal separation.

A contested divorce is when the two parties have not reached agreement on important issues that must be resolved before the divorce can be approved by the court. A skilled and experienced divorce lawyer can help you arrive at a resolution through negotiation, through participation in mediation or by taking your case before a family law judge for a decision. When you work with my law office, all options are available to you.

Child custody and visitation: Divorce is traumatic for children as well as parents. I am an approved, court-appointed child's representative in Cook County and Will County. This has given me unusual insight and sensitivity to the needs of children whose parents are seeking a divorce. Allow me to put those insights to use in helping you arrive at a workable solution to your child custody and visitation issues.

Child support: The state of Illinois has rules to determine the financial responsibility of parents to their children. Every judge is required to abide by these state guidelines unless there is a good reason to depart from them and order more or less child support. If you have questions about Illinois child support guidelines and what you may be expected to pay or receive, contact my Orland Park law office.

Alimony: In Illinois, temporary or permanent financial support paid by one spouse to another is called "spousal maintenance." The purpose of spousal maintenance is to help a lower earning spouse until he or she can increase his or her earning capacity. If a spouse is disabled or elderly, permanent maintenance may be ordered.

Illinois law does not provide a formula to determine whether maintenance should be paid or in what amount. The skillful presentation of information by an attorney can be effective in helping the court decide whether alimony should be granted and how much.

Marital property division: When a couple gets divorced, it is necessary to distinguish who owns which nonmarital property and how jointly owned property will be divided. This can be done by reaching a property settlement agreement or by having a judge make the decision for you. Allow me to explain your property rights and to help you seek a fair and equitable division of the marital assets.

Modification of existing court orders for alimony, child support, child custody or visitation: While the terms of your divorce may have been appropriate at the time of your divorce, situations do change. Your court order may need to change, too. I represent clients who seek to have their judgment reviewed to fit new circumstances.

Schedule A Free Consultation Today

Contact my law office in Orland Park for a free initial consultation by calling 708-403-1640. For your convenience, I accept Visa and Mastercard, and I offer both daytime and evening appointments.

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy