Rhea A. Dorsam
Dorsam and Jurek, P.C.

Experienced Legal Help with Illinois Divorce and Child Custody

Orland Park Divorce Lawyer Rhea A. Dorsam

When the stress of a difficult marriage or the isolation of an unfulfilling relationship become too much, sometimes divorce is the only way to move forward to find healing and a new life. It's a decision that thousands of people make every year. It is a decision that can be made easier with the support and guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced divorce attorney.

I'm Rhea Dorsam, an Orland Park divorce lawyer with more than 30 years of experience helping couples find solutions to Illinois family law issues. I provide sensitive and compassionate legal help to clients seeking a divorce in the greater Chicago area of Will County and Cook County, Illinois.

Contact my law office to learn more about how I can help you find a cost-effective resolution to the issues that must be resolved in divorce. I offer a free initial consultation so prospective new clients can get to know more about me and how I work to help clients through the challenges they face in divorce.

Divorce and Legal Separation: Regardless of whether you are seeking a divorce or a legal separation, the issues that must be decided remain the same. You will need to arrive at an agreement—or to ask a family court judge for a court order—regarding the issues of marital property division, financial support, and child custody.

If you and your former partner are fortunate enough to be in agreement on these issues, Illinois law allows you to seek an uncontested divorce. Each partner should still be represented by a lawyer, who will draft a divorce and marital property settlement agreement and file all required paperwork with the court. I can guide you through this process and help you negotiate any minor disagreements that might occur along the way for a less costly and less combative divorce or legal separation.

A contested divorce is when the two parties have not reached agreement on important issues that must be resolved before the divorce can be approved by the court. A skilled and experienced divorce lawyer can help you arrive at a resolution through negotiation, through participation in mediation, or by taking your case before a family law judge for a decision. When you work with my law office, all options are available to you.

Child Custody and Visitation: Divorce is traumatic for children as well as parents. I am an approved, court-appointed child's representative in Cook County and Will County. This has given me unusual insight and sensitivity to the needs of children whose parents are seeking a divorce. Allow me to put those insights to use in helping you arrive at a workable solution to your child custody and visitation issues.

Child Support: The State of Illinois has rules to determine the financial responsibility of parents to their children. Every judge is required to abide by these state guidelines unless there is a good reason to depart from them and order more or less child support. If you have questions about Illinois child support guidelines and what you may be expected to pay or receive, contact my Orland Park law office.

Alimony: In Illinois, temporary or permanent financial support paid by one spouse to another is called "spousal maintenance." The purpose of spousal maintenance is to help a lower-earning spouse until he or she can increase his or her earning capacity. If a spouse is disabled or elderly, permanent maintenance may be ordered.

Illinois law does not provide a formula to determine whether maintenance should be paid or in what amount. The skillful presentation of information by an attorney can be effective in helping the court decide whether alimony should be granted and how much.

Marital Property Division: When a couple gets divorced, it is necessary to distinguish who owns which non-marital property and how jointly owned property will be divided. This can be done by reaching a property settlement agreement or by having a judge make the decision for you. Allow me to explain your property rights and to help you seek a fair and equitable division of the marital assets.

Modification of Existing Court Orders for Alimony, Child Support, Child Custody, or Visitation: While the terms of your divorce may have been appropriate at the time of your divorce, situations do change. Your court order may need to change, too. I represent clients who seek to have their judgment reviewed to fit new circumstances.

Contact my law office in Orland Park for a free initial consultation. For your convenience, I accept Visa and MasterCard, and I offer both daytime and evening appointments.

Rhea A. Dorsam

15020 S. Ravinia Ave.,
Suite 24 - Orland Park, IL 60462
Telephone: (708) 403-1640 ● Fax: (708) 403-1702
Map and DirectionsE-Mail Me

Orland Park, Illinois family law attorney Rhea A. Dorsam represents clients throughout Cook County and Will County, in communities such as downtown Chicago, Orland Park, and the Chicago suburbs of Tinley Park, Bridgeview, Crestwood, Burbank, Midlothian, Palos Park, Palos Hills, and Palos Heights.